General Assistance

General Assistance provides assistance and medical relief for the indigent of Scotts Bluff County. This includes assistance with rent, utilities, prescriptions, and medical bills for eligible county residents. Assistance is also provided with county cremations when there are no responsible relatives. Requirements include meeting low income guidelines and verifying county residency.

Clients may also receive assistance in finding employment or referral to other agencies. Eligible clients may participate in the County Work Program before assistance is provided.

Contact Information


Administration Building - 2nd floor in County Health Dept.
1825 10th Street
Gering, NE 69341

Office Hours

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed through the lunch hour
Closed Weekends and Holidays


308 436-6681 - Main Number
308 436-6638 - FAX Number

Bill Wineman - Director

Brandy Robinson - Administrative Assistant

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility requirements?
The two main requirements are residency and income eligibility. A person must be a county resident (having lived in the state of Nebraska for 1 year and residing for at least 6 months of that time in Scotts Bluff County). A person must also meet income guidelines ( starting from $375 for General Assistance and $392 for Medical Relief per month for an individual). In some cases, job searches, GED registration, or participation in the County Work Program may also be required before assistance is granted.

What kind of assistance is provided?
Assistance may be provided with rent, utility bills, prescriptions, medical bills, and some emergency needs (sundries or fuel for car). Assistance with county cremations is also provided.

Does the program pay deposits?
No. Deposits for rent, utilities, or reconnect charges are not allowed.

Does the program pay everything?
No. The General Assistance program is a program of last resort. Other agencies must be contacted first to establish eligibility. Sometimes General Assistance works with PCS, DHHS, and other agencies to give shared assistance.

How do I apply?
An application form must be completed along with a face-to-face interview with the director. Verification of need or income may be requested.

Scotts Bluff County
Administration Building
1825 10th Street
Gering, NE 69341

308 436-6600